Arctic Sea Ice - Methane Release - Planetary Emergency
On Saturday 16th June 2012 the Arctic Methane Emergency Group (AMEG) presented disturbing findings about the Arctic situation at the Campaign against Climate Change (CaCC) conference, and is campaigning for action from governments to "pull back from the brink" (see the AMEG poster below).
A public meeting is being held on Wednesday 26th September 7.00 pm at the Indian YMCA, 41 Fitzroy Street, London W1T 6AQ with Professor Peter Wadhams, Head of the Polar Oceans Physics Group at Cambridge University and John Vidal (Guardian Environment correspondent) who has returned from visiting the Arctic on a Greenpeace vessel.
It is Organised by the Campaign against Climate Change with the Arctic Methane Emergency Group
EVERYTHING depends on you helping the Arctic
* the Arctic is warming ever faster (1)
* the sea ice volume is plummeting (2)
* which prefaces a collapse in sea ice extent (3)
* Arctic warming already disrupting climate,
* already escalating emissions of methane (5)
* and, as methane is a potent greenhouse gas (7)
Demand action to pull back from the brink
Demand that governments assess the threat
FIND OUT MORE - and do your part
Join our campaign at www.ameg.me
Contact: AMEG chair, John Nissen
View the presentation at: http://vimeo.com/44171386
For references, see the recent Message from the Arctic Methane Emergency Group (AMEG) and below:
1. The Arctic is warming ever faster
2. Sea ice volume is plummeting
3. which prefaces a collapse in sea ice extent
4. unpredictable weather for farmers
5. escalating emissions of methane
6. from vast store in Arctic seabed
7. methane is a potent greenhouse gas
8. runaway global warming
Arctic Methane: Why The Sea Ice Matters
Methane Hydrates: Hazard or Resource
Paul Beckwith at Ecoshock
Saving the Arctic Ice
Nathan Currier describes responses to the emergency in the Arctic in the post¬†Saving the Arctic Ice: Greenpeace, Greenwashing and Geoengineering (#1), concluding that geoengineering will have to be part of the action.
AMEG issues policy brief
AMEG issues policy brief, urging immediate government action.